[Scummvm-devel] Using buildbot for the release?

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jul 6 09:17:29 CEST 2013

On 6/07/2013 2:58 PM, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> A thing which was bothering me for a while. Would it be possible to use
> our buildbot for building release packages?
>
> We have a nice collection of platforms represented there, and some of
> them have their maintainer inactive. Also this would let to release much
> broader set of packages by time of the release.
>
> So, are there any technical obstacles to this?

An extremely bad idea, since release builds are meant to be well tested
for a wider range of users. For ports which aren't maintained, we don't
know how functional those ports still are, even if they continue to
compile and build. For ports which are maintained, there is still a
lower risk of build environment differences compared to the maintainer,
which could mean a difference in features offered, or cause additional
bugs in the worst case.

Users always have the choice to using a recent snapshot, but we
shouldn't be offering these build if we can't be sure of their quality.

If you really want to go this way, you might as well just drop releases,
since we only offer minimum testing for releases now.