[Scummvm-devel] hopkins, hiscore.dat

Matthew Hoops clone2727 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 02:11:23 CEST 2013

This is a continuation of the conversation that happened on commit
dee719390c0bf6c966b99126f122c7a21e3b33a7. Paul wants it brought up
here, so a general consensus can be found.

I realize that Paul mentioned last week that he was going to go ahead
with this method if no one objected. I don't have time to keep track
of every mail that comes through my inbox, yet alone every ScummVM
mail, so I missed it last week. My apologies! The cost of having a
real job now :)

Now that that's out of the way, onto the commit itself. As was his
intention, the code was moved to save the high score per save file
instead of as a file that would maintain the high score between all
saves.

There are two big problems with this:
1) We no longer follow the original game's behavior
2) We broke backwards compatibility with the previous hiscore.dat file

In wjp's e-mail, he suggested renaming the file to
"hopkins-hiscore.dat" or "<target>-hiscore.dat". This would have
solved both problems with the original file naming. Even older
"hiscore.dat" files could be checked if they existed to maintain
backwards compatibility. Strangerke also suggested a fake save file in
his comment. Furthermore, this method would probably have been less
work than adding the high scores to each save slot.

Paul feels that having an extra file is a "potential annoyance", but
we already do similar stuff for ie. Indy3's IQ points. In fact, this
high score save rather resembles maintaining the score between Indy3
saves.

The game *is* supposed to maintain the high score file between, as the
original did. There is no doubt that is what the original game
designer's intended since it's the way it behaves. After all, we're
reimplementing games to behave like them.

Now that the case has been made, what does everyone else think? Since
this isn't an unreasonable original game feature (it's not like it's a
save dialog using the original Windows dialog box or something!), I
feel very strongly that removing this feature is the wrong thing to
do.

Thoughts? :)

-Matt