[Scummvm-devel] [scummvm] Replace our JPEG decoder with one capable of handling progressive JPEGs (#374)

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 23:28:07 CEST 2013

On 08/11/2013 10:44 AM, A. Milburn wrote:

> According to the pull request it's not needed for GroovieV2. It's completely
> blocking support for some Wintermute games and that's what sev wanted to fix
> here, so I'm not sure leaving it to "the Wintermute developers" is such a
> great plan; this pull request was intended to deal with that case, and it
> was neatly shot down in flames.
>

> In the end: the current code doesn't work for many standard images and it's
> blocking support for games, and I think asking engine maintainers to deal
> with a problem which was caused by us not just using libjpeg in the first
> place is rather unfair.
>
> If someone (whether ST or whoever) is volunteering to fix the existing code
> (and without making the memory/CPU requirements worse for things like
> Mohawk): great.
>
> But otherwise I think we should look into a memory/performance comparison of
> the other options, at least.

Are there any news on this? i.e. what's the current opinion on how we
should proceed? I personally think if nobody comes up with any solid
arguments against libjpeg, we should go for it. To get some movement
into this: I suggest we will wait till next monday evening (something
like 20:00 UTC) and if there's no objections till then, I'll work on
merging a cleaned up version of my pull request #376
(https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/376).

Greetings,
Johannes