[Scummvm-devel] R: Re: R: Re: R: Re: R: Re: Dynamic Plugins (uncached) - optimization

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Tue Jan 28 16:10:06 CET 2014

On 28 January 2014 07:09, sunmax at libero.it <sunmax at libero.it> wrote:

> >I thought a bit more about how we might speed up detection in a way you
> >proposed: Instead of matching the directory name against gameids we
> >might simply create a list of files engines look for in their detection
> >and then map these to a plugin (maybe even prioritized in case multiple
> >engines look for the same file). That should also catch cases where
> >users name their directories not based on gameid. But one would need to
> >check whether this is really (easily) feasible.
>
> Yes, your approach is much more elegant.
>
> Don't we already have a list of the files each engine is looking for as
> part
> of detection ?

Actually we were discussing it several years ago, and I believe it is even
mentioned somewhere in TODO.

The proper way of addressing this would be to adjust our build and plugin
system and let the detection code and tables for each engine be compiled
statically with the main executable.

This would let us benefit from md5 caching and also could be used for those
platforms where builds are split, so it could even provide hint to the end
user something like "You need to run build XX in order to run this game".

Eugene