[Scummvm-devel] SCUMM Steam Releases

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:23:45 CEST 2014

I also support the opinions of Matt and Paul. I don't think we are a threat
to them, and I really am up to adding support for these versions. The users
will need to buy their game(s) anyway from Steam, so I don't see how having
a different executable is going to make things any different.

AFAIK, the Steam releases are using DOSBox anyway. So, there really isn't
any reason for that stupid "protection", other than to stop people from
reusing executables from older non-Steam versions with the Steam data files.

Regards
Filippos

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at scummvm.org>
wrote:

> On 06/03/2014 04:06 PM, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> > Despite the expressed opinions, I would still prefer to abstain from it.
> >
> > Just think about it. They clearly made it in order to hide from our
> > project ability to directly run the games. They deliberately decided
> > to put additional effort and it is for sure not a mistake or oversight.
> >
> > For those who are not aware, they hid the index .LFL file into engine
> > executable, so all those patches Matt is referring to, do extract them
> > with use of hardcoded tables.
> >
> > I do clearly understand how pitiful this could be for end-users, and
> > that it could lead to frustration.
> >
> > Nevertheless, the safety of ScummVM Team and project is at my highest
> > priority. I just want you guys to continue enjoy hacking ScummVM and
> > sleeping well at night, without any potential threat from lawyers.
> >
> > Any other opinions, particularly from the core team?
>
> I think Matthew and Paul have a point here that it seems ScummVM isn't
> really seen as a threat. So, personally I'm also all for supporting the
> Stream releases out of the box too.
>
> // Johannes

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde