[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 1.7.0 release

Einar Johan Trøan Sømåen somaen at scummvm.org
Sun Jun 8 15:45:30 CEST 2014

Since I was partially responsible for asking for a hold back in the
previous push for 1.7.0, I feel I owe everybody an apology for my
tardiness. The original plan was to get a few more games tested and ready
(as shown here: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=13062).

So, the current state of the games that are on my roster of potential
support is this:

* Dirty Split suffers from an issue with the FMV videos atleast (they can
desynch, and they lack subtitles, as Tobia hinted towards in the previous
mail), other than that it should be completable.

* Five Magical Amulets has atleast one verified completion, but lacks
blacklisting of a broken version, as well as showing it's title in the
wrong codepage (no bug has been filed for this yet).

* J.U.L.I.A. I have completed myself, it is slow as molasses, and the
original dev has withdrawn the version from sale. The existing copies CAN
be supported, but the experience will not be great unless I can get the
speed issues fixed.

* Rosemary has font issues, and lacks support for underlinining text, among
quite a few others, it is however completable.

* Dead City has a verified completed playthrough.

* Five Lethal Demons has been completed, but has one remaining bug (text is
not shown in a dialogue).

* Rhiannon is completable, but has a bug (I do not have this game at hand
currently, so I won't be looking into this one any time soon).

* Paintaria is completable, but has exponential growth in it's
savegame-files. (no bug reported)

* Escape from The Mansion, completable.

* The Kite, completabale (scrolling is slow, which is a common bug)

* Ghost in the sheet, completable? (Locks up after final cutscene).

* the white chamber, completable last time I checked. (but slow scrolling
in a few scenes).

* East Side Story (Carol Reed 4) - completed by Tobia last year.

If I sum this up, I have:
Dead City, Five Magical Amulets, Escape from The Mansion and East Side
Story as potentials for announcing proper release testing. The reason why
this hasn't happened is mainly a lack of time management from my side.

I'm perfectly fine with only getting chivalry into this release, however,
there is no code in place to disable running any other non-supported games
when the engine is enabled...

So, what I suggest is this: I can announce the 4 games listed above for
testing in the same fashion that we handled Hopkins FBI last year. HOWEVER,
I can not guarantee any time for fixing any issues that show up, so the
testing would thus be a "we'll support them _IF_ they turn out to be in a
good state, and pull them if they need any complicated bug fixing". (This
is mainly to avoid holding the release back unneccessarily on my account).
The selection of these games is based on the fact that they already have
atleast one playthrough that is said to be completable without issues.
(Approaching any of the other games would just add problems).

If people feel that we should rather postpone this to our next release,
then that is fine too.

Oh, and sorry for not updating NEWS with Chivalry is not dead yet.

Einar Johan Trøan Sømåen