[Scummvm-devel] Plans to move away from SF.net

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Tue Dec 15 10:38:43 CET 2015

Hi Team,

As you're probably aware, we're in progress on moving away from sf.net.
That is primarily because of their frequent downtimes, and although we
weren't affected, because of their uncanny business practices of
repackaging windows builds with adware. Other factors is slowness of the
service, ads on downloads, super-slow tech support.

We got donated a dedicated server by easyname.at. It is a quite powerful
machine with Debian.

We plan to move these:

  o Forums: phpBB3
  o Bugtracker: Trac
  o Patchtracker: Trac, but with more bias to github's PRs
  o Feature requests: Trac, same instance
  o Mailing lists: mailman (same as sf.net uses)
  o FRS: Have FTP + AWStats (we love stats)
  o Website: we just move
  o Buildbot: move it to the new machine

As I mentioned earlier, Alex Klimenko is performing phpBB3 theme
conversion. We plan to reuse its authentication for Trac, so users will not
need to create 2 accounts. Thus, we're kind of dependent on the conversion
and cannot move further until it is finished.

Buildbot move will let us have faster builds, there are also ideas for
using current VM donated by qvist as a slave builder.

Also I am using this opportunity to finally turn our website into a
multilingual one, and the work there is almost complete except one small
bug: the language switch is not immediate for some reason, you have to
click some link for the actual switch.

Currently I am trying to do most of the work by myself (except phpBB3 by
Alex and Trac by wjp), so any helping hand is welcome.

Eugene