[Scummvm-devel] Issue with menus on OS X with SDL2

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Wed Dec 16 21:30:47 CET 2015

Hi Matt,

Thanks for proposing to test. However I remembered that I had a 10.3 laptop gathering dust in a corner so made some tests myself (and urghhh I hate azerty keyboards to write C++ code - you need a five minutes warm up for your fingers before typing a bracket if you don't want to get injured).
Anyway, I found that the easy solution indeed does not work, which I could easily have found before if I had read the reference documentation (NSMenu removeAllItems made its debut in OS X 10.6) And I found that our current code doesn't work well either (the app menu has no name!) :P

My alternative solution seems works with OS 10.3, 10.9 and 10.10 with SDL1.2 and SDL2 though, so I will commit that.

Also the documentation, once more (I really should read it more often) provided the answer regarding the call to NSApplication setAppleMenu:
In Leopard and earlier, apps that tried to construct a menu bar without a nib would get an undesirable stubby application menu that could not be removed. To work around this problem on Leopard, you can call the undocumented setAppleMenu: method and pass it the application menu, like so:
[NSApp setAppleMenu:[[[NSApp mainMenu] itemAtIndex:0] submenu]];
In SnowLeopard, this workaround is unnecessary and should not be used. Under SnowLeopard, the first menu is always identified as the application menu.

It seems to work (despite the documentation saying it should not be called on 10.6+) so I left that call in there. But maybe we should conditionally do the call depending on the system on which ScummVM is executed.

Thierry