[Scummvm-devel] Scummvm-devel Digest, Vol 104, Issue 15

m_kiewitz at scummvm.org m_kiewitz at scummvm.org
Thu Feb 26 14:28:32 CET 2015

> > But sure, that explains it. Still it's quite weird, that they don't
> use ScummVM for those games as well, especially because we handle Hires King's
> Quest 6 including dual mode, which Dos-Box simply can't (hires without a
> Windows 3.11 installation and dual-mode at all).
>
> I was always curious whether we can get any reasons from GoG on why they
>
> use DOSBox or why they use ScummVM. Maybe there's some reasons/bugs we
> are not aware of which prevent them from using ScummVM. Getting QA
> results from them would be cool too.

There could be of course some uninitialized variable script issues left somewhere. But those would affect Dos-Box too. We show an error message, the original interpreter could somewhat "work" and then do funny things a few hours later. So right, it would be interesting, why they don't use ScummVM for those and if they found issues, they should tell us. I personally played a few times through King's Quest 5 + 6 and haven't found any more issues.

Well of course they also patched a few games by using fan patches and some of those are either black-listed and/or cause issues in ScummVM (which means the remaining ones should get blacklisted too). None of those fan patches would be needed for ScummVM, because afaik all of those issues are either patched by us properly or solved by our speed throttler (besides a tiny few issues left like for example fighting in Quest for Glory 3, which is way too fast) - if there are things left, that don't get patched by us, I would implement them immediately.

> > btw. is there a known problem with the scummvm.org email server? I
> just got this email right now instead of yesterday.
>
> It is because you seem to use digests. That means instead of receiving
> an mail for every mail sent to the mailing list, it will periodically
> send you combined messages (IIRC). The best thing would be to change
> your subscription to non-digest mode.

I know. I get daily e-mails only. But I received a scummvm mailing list e-mail yesterday (which was the 25.2.2015), that was dated 24.2.2015. Which means the email arrived one day too late.

Regards

Termine finden leicht gemacht "bookmeetings.com"

Appointments scheduled easy "bookmeetings.com"