[Scummvm-devel] Charset encoding

Maël Hörz mh-nexus at web.de
Sat Aug 20 18:37:22 CEST 2016

Hi,

I have been browsing the source code and looking at
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCUMM/Technical_Reference/Charset_resources.

So far I could not find anything to convert from the games
charset/encoding to something more standard, such as Latin-1 or UTF-8.

I was trying for example to get the message in plain text format from
the ScummEngine::actorTalk() method. Applying a strategy similar to
drawString() to strip special characters gives me an almost perfect string.

However things like ellipsis "..." and TM or (C) don't get translated.
Looking at the character codes for these glyphs doesn't seem to follow
any encodings I know.

So while so far I only had problems with these characters (the rest seem
to be ASCII), and I could fix them manually, I fear with different
languages or other special characters there might be issues ahead.

Is there any "official" way to translate these in-game strings to some
known encoding?

Thanks,
Maël