[Scummvm-devel] License FAQ draft

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Fri Jan 1 20:43:37 CET 2016

Well, the official quiz (http://www.gnu.org/cgi-bin/license-quiz.cgi)
suggests that distributing just a URL to the source code does not comply
with GPL. Primarily reason for that is that internet sites do change, and
somebody could eventually remove the files from the server.

While it is a gray area, I see no problem with that, but that is just me.
If somebody in the team feels otherwise, please speak up.

As of the GPLv3, my understanding is that if somebody goes and uses ScummVM
code in GPLv3 project, there are several pitaffls. Although we are stating
that we're "GPLv2 or later", licensing under GPLv3 will remove 'v2' part,
leaving only 'or later' from the clause. Thus, the potential code user must
keep both licenses and mark the borrowed files as based on v2. Of course,
any additions to those files will taint the files with v3 license.

In general RMS rightfully states (
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.en.html) that you cannot mix the
two in one distribution. So this is kind of confusing.

Let me remind that unfortunately to us, we cannot relicense ScummVM unless
we rewrite some significant portions of our code. The reason is simple: we
cannot reach every contributor, particularly those who passed away.

Eugene