[Scummvm-devel] Fwd: Idea: ScummVM weekly snapshots

Eugene Sandulenko sev.mail at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 09:37:27 CEST 2016

On 27 July 2016 at 09:44, Lothar Serra Mari <lserramari at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Thierry,
>
> thanks for your feedback. First, I think I can agree with everything
> you say. Eugene also proposed to change the wording of the
> announcements instead of switching to weekly snapshots. Instead of
> "playable with the latest daily", we should use "playable with the
> daily build from 27.07.2016 03:00 UTC or newer".

Right. During the testing period we ask users to provide the md5 of the
build they tested with.

Also, if we use the week number, we anyway must use the md5, otherwise it
would be a challenge to find which build was used.

Thus, the same goal could be achieved with duplicating the announcement
date in the text of the very announcement.

> Regarding c2, maybe you noticed that I started to update the NEWS file
> more frequently with almost every bugfix or new addition.

There are too many of those. There have been 2525 commits since 1.9.0 was
branched. Yes, wast majority of those belong to the WIP engines, still
there are hundreds of changes like "Added missing translations", "Remove
redundant allocation", etc. What is the sense in adding those?

However, the blog posts about the WIP engines progress would be awesome.

>> b) Larger user base for game tests

This is a recurring problem. We see less and less people spending time on
replaying the games. Unfortunately, the Event Recorder is not yet finished,
maybe I'll look into it this year, which hopefully will lighten the problem.

> >> c) Easier integration into the upcoming GAMESDB. We could simply add
> >> each snapshot as a target in the GAMESDB and don't have to use
> >> "tricks" like selecting 1.8.1 and then inserting the commit hash in
> >> the comments.

That would mean adding 50+ targets every year. Too much IMO. With our 2-3
users contributing to the testing these days this will create uneeded
overhead.

Eugene