[Scummvm-devel] Proposal for 2-bytes characters support feature as GSoC Program

Einar Johan Trøan Sømåen einarjohants at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 13:17:23 CET 2016

Den lørdag 19. mars 2016 skrev chenbo li <lichenbo1949 at gmail.com>:

> So I joined the IRC and have some simple discussion with the developers.
> Then I knew that the reason is because some of the retro machine has strict
> memory limit, and it’s unlikely to store the whole UTF-8 or other font file
> (or it would be a huge waste). But it would’t be a problem with relatively
> modern platform like Windows or OS X. So we came up with the idea that we
> could use compiler flag to built in different platform with different
> language profiles. And that’s just my first idea on how to do it. In order
> to get familiar with the translation related work, I’ve already translated
> the GUI of ScummVM into Romanized Chinese with use the standard English
> alphabets and could fit into the current system. (Pull Request #712)
>

> As far as I know we have some degree of utf32 support available for
engines, when they are using TTF fonts, but I have no clue how extensible
that is to the launcher and GUI in general. It might not be quite enough
work to fill 12 weeks though.

> * Improve GUI                                   - I like to make nice
> looking GUI (Are we reconstructing the GUI system?)
> * Hardware accelerated blitting - I have experience in C++ and OpenGL
> (Actually I don’t quite get it, I guess you just draw a quad filling the
> window with bitmap textures and blit it?)

Well, the challenge is somewhat more complex than that. The point of the
task would be to implement an interface for HW accelerated blitting that
can be implemented on a variety of platforms, beyond what GL offers
(AmigaOS 4, PSP etc). The interface can thus not expose GL itself, but it
could wrap it.

There is a rather large possibility for speeding up some of the newer games
a fair amount with this.

> * Native OS X port                              - I have a Mac, but no
> Obj-C experience (But I’d like to do the transport from SDL to SDL2, if
> that’s still part of the plan)
>
> The point of this task is to have an OS X backend that doesn't use SDL(2)
at all. So the implementation would be in native APIs (Cocoa)

 Hope that clears up a few of your questions.

Kind regards
Einar Johan Trøan Sømåen