[Scummvm-devel] The new Buildbot: what’s happening, what needs to happen

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Sun Dec 17 15:36:56 CET 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 09:08:15PM -0600, Colin Snover wrote:
> Team,
>
> One of my goals for the next release of ScummVM is to automate the
> process of building and generating release packages. My hope is that
> this will allow us to have a faster release cycle, more consistent
> release quality, and free up manpower to focus on the many parts of
> ScummVM which cannot be so easily automated (like adding more engines! :)).
>
> The first two major parts of this project are nearly complete: the
> upgrade of Buildbot, and the introduction of infrastructure management
> using Ansible.

Hi Colin,

Let me start by saying: Thank you! This is great work, and will really help
keep ScummVM portable and maintainable. I'm very enthusiastic about these
changes.

>From earlier experience with other projects (as well as from tests with the
docker images you've created), I can fully agree that using scripted,
replicable toolchains for building is very nice to work with, giving us much
more freedom to experiment without being afraid of breaking things.

I don't have time today to reply in-depth, but I hope over the next few months
we can fully implement these things.

-Willem Jan