[Scummvm-devel] Regarding BOLT/Funhouse engine support

N. E. C. beholdnec at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 02:52:54 CEST 2018

Hello,

I have been developing a ScummVM module for the "BOLT engine" games
made by Philips Funhouse: Merlin's Apprentice, Labyrinth of Crete and
Hannah Barbera's Cartoon Carnival. The project is hosted at
https://github.com/beholdnec/scummvm-funhouse . (formerly
scummvm-bolt). It is a work in progress. Currently, the only game
supported is Merlin's Apprentice, but this is not in a playable state.

I have spoken with director Cliff Johnson; he says that BOLT stands
for Binary Object Library Tools, and it is not actually an engine.
It's a system for loading resources. It was devised by David Todd and
used in several games made by Cinemaware and later Philips under
P.O.V. Entertainment.

In fact, there is another game that uses BOLT: Voyeur, which is
already integrated in ScummVM! However, Voyeur and the Funhouse games
use significantly different code, so it is inappropriate to combine
the games under one engine.

Therefore, I have decided to rename my repo from scummvm-bolt to
scummvm-funhouse. This will be known as the Funhouse engine. Please
update any existing links.

- Nolan