[Scummvm-devel] GSoC in 2018?

Bastien Bouclet bastien.bouclet at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 08:29:02 CET 2018

Hi Arnaud,

For a student having to learn about game programming along the way, I'd say
around 8 to 10 weeks. Other tasks in the engine could be prepared for a
student although none are immediately ready.

Here is a description for the task. I will complement it with screenshots
if we go with it.

Stark engine improvements

The Longest Journey is a 2.5D point and click adventure game released in
1999 by Funcom. ResidualVM has a reimplementation for most of the game
engine. However some important parts are missing:
- The original menus
     The game menus allow displaying the main character's diary, viewing
past cutscenes, loading and saving, ... Implementing the original menus is
valuable to the players because of the very nice art they display.
     The menus are semi-data driven. This task involves implementing the
shared draw logic as well as the screen-specific gameplay logic.
- The characters' shadows
     ResidualVM uses programmable pipeline OpenGL (shaders) to display the
game world. For this task, it is required to write the code responsible for
drawing the characters' shadows using a technique such as shadow mapping.

Working on Stark can be a great experience to learn game engine
programming. The engine behind The Longest Journey was very well designed.
Most concepts still apply in more recent 3D game engines.