[Scummvm-devel] Contributing to ScummVM with an interpreter for Magnetic Scrolls?

dettus dettus at dettus.net
Sun May 5 11:20:29 CEST 2019

Hello.

Don't worry. I do not think that would be necessary.
The way I currently envision it, is that animations are merely a bunch
of pictures. Lets say pic55.raw-pic67.raw. And that the magnetic engine
would instruct ScummVMGLK every 100ms to draw an individual one of
those. Or something.

So... I cloned ScummVM yesterday, and I started looking into the
engine/glk directory. You already prepared a Magnetic::runGame(), how
lovely!

My plan is that I use your frotz engine as a guideline and work my way
up from there. The .raw format for pictures seems pretty straight
forward, I can easily convert into that format. Not a problem!!

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. STARTUP: How do I tell my engine where the binaries are? I would
assume that Magnetic::loadGameData(strid_t file) has been added for that
purpose. However, looking at the code in detection.cpp, I fear that it
is not such a straight-forward process? Plus: I would be needing two
files for each game? (.mag and .gfx)
2. BUILDING: My engine can be encapsulated in a static library. That
would require to add it to the makefile, so that the final linker could
do an -ldMagnetic, and a -I for the include path. Where would be the
best place to do so?

Thomas

P.S.: I would also prefer to forget about xGLK as frontend, and
concentrate on supporting scummVMGLK.