[Scummvm-devel] sound through opl3 (ym3812) emulation?

Sean Young sean at mess.org
Thu Nov 29 17:31:02 CET 2001

All,

Apologies if this idea has already been mentioned in the list, but I couldn't
find it in the archives.

While discussing scummvm in the pub with my mate Hans (CC'ed), he spoke
about using opl3 emulation for sound. This seems as a very viable option,
also although this is quite cpu-intensive, current cpus have no problem
handling this. The adlib is an opl2 and sound blaster is opl3; both are
used by a lot of lucasarts games. So redirecting AdLib or Sound Blaster
I/O from the game to the emulator should reproduce the original sound on
any machine.

Here is a good opl2/opl3 emulator:

	http://adplug.sourceforge.net/

This is the opl2/opl3 emulation from MAME <http://www.mame.net/>, relicensed
under LGPL (so there are no licensing issues).

Although I'd love to work on this, I have no clue where to start. Is
there any documentation available on the scumm file format or/and the .ims
files?

Sean