[Scummvm-devel] Fw: ScummVM documentation

J.Brown (Ender/Amigo) ender at enderboi.com
Wed Apr 10 08:43:27 CEST 2002

SPUTM - This is the actual name of the engine.
SCUMM - This is the scripting language. Far from popular believe, the
	engine itself is not called Scumm :)
IMUSE - This is the MIDI control engine, allowing dynamic music
SMUSH - This is a movie compression format and player
INSANE - This is the event management system used in V7+ games
MMUCAS - This is the memory allocation stuff used in CMI... I'm not sure
if it's in V7.

As I said in the .txt file:

Up until version 6, the SCUMM engine (the scripting language is SCUMM, the
actual engine is called SPUTM) remained mostly the same. SPUTM consisted
generally of several 'subsystems', although the engine internally calls
between its components so often the distinction between them is rather
blured. [This is what I assume you mean by interleaved]

Thankfully V6 was a hefty rewrite of SPUTM. The script interpreter used a
proper stack, and components were steadily introduced to comparmentalise
parts of the engine. With V7, SMUSH (a video format) was added, and along
the way several other systems such as iNSANE (the engines new event
scheduler) and MMUCAS (the memory management subsystem) were added.

[In v7+ these subsystems were more distinct and seperate from the main
core]

 - Ender