[Scummvm-devel] Proposal: restructuring the source tree

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Aug 16 04:22:03 CEST 2002

At 21:03 Uhr -0500 15.08.2002, J.Brown (Ender/Amigo) wrote:
>  > E.g. it forces us to prefix all simon related files with simon (thus we
>>  have simonsys.cpp), even though these files are already in a simon
>>  subdirectory. note that the file "midi.cpp" is for Simon only even if
>>  the name suggest differently.
>
>This is due to a compiler limitation with Microsoft Visual Studio.
>It places all object files in one directory, thus you cannot have two
>files with the same name in the same project.
>
>Eg,
>    scumm/debug.cpp => release/debug.obj
>    simon/debug.cpp => release/debug.obj
>      = Rather broken compile :)

Argh! This is .... insane, stupid, evil :-( No way around this I assume?

Thinking about this, CodeWarrior (used on Mac OS 9 for most stuff)
might have a similar limitation, not due to object files, but due to
the way they store & locate file references in their projects. I
don't think it allows you to have more than one source file with a
given name.

OK, but then we can still use a name of debug_simon.cpp -> IMHO
easier to parse quickly than simondebug.cpp.

But Endy, what is your general opinion about this idea? Of course we
have to tweak things like this :-) But in general?

Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:max at quendi.de>
phone: (+49) 6151-494890