[Scummvm-devel] Proposal: restructuring the source tree

J.Brown (Ender/Amigo) ender at enderboi.com
Fri Aug 16 05:14:02 CEST 2002

> Argh! This is .... insane, stupid, evil :-( No way around this I assume?

Yeah, use makefiles instead of the IDE. But to be honest, most people only
know how to use the IDE, so I believe this small limitation is a good
thing.

> OK, but then we can still use a name of debug_simon.cpp -> IMHO
> easier to parse quickly than simondebug.cpp.
>
> But Endy, what is your general opinion about this idea? Of course we
> have to tweak things like this :-) But in general?

In general, sure, if you think you can make the source easier to work
with. However, you must keep a number of things in mind, and make sure not
to break platforms or conventions.

For example, one suggestion was to move the 'debian' to a 'distro'
subdirectory. Doing that would be breaking debian standards, and a no-no.
So remember, be carefyk... and don't overdo things. It's far easier to
find code in a small number of files within 5 different directories...
than to find code hidden within 50 directories :P

 - Ender