[Scummvm-devel] Concurrency issue fixed (knock on wood)

Jamieson Christian jamiec at mail.org
Thu Dec 5 13:59:03 CET 2002

I believe I have managed to isolate and fix the concurrency issue that is
causing problems for PocketPC, MorphOS and (in much more rare circumstances)
the SDL-based ports as well. Special thanks to my girlfriend, the best
playtester I've see, who managed to nail down a reliable recreation of the
problem on the Windows platform where I was unable to find one.

The problem I was able to recreate and thus deal with occurs in two possible
locations in FOA. The first is the scene where Indy and Kerner are looking
close-up at the statue; this one has been reported previously. A similar
manifestation occurs at the end of the intro, when transitioning between the
screen where Indy drives off campus and the map screen showing him flying to
New York.

I have tested the solution using FOA, and also tested MI2 on Scabb Island
for possible regressions (because of the section of code I was tampering
with). Both appear to be playing their music just fine.

This fix needs tested with DOTT and S&M. I have been unable to recreate a
DOTT intro problem with any reliability, so PocketPC and MorphOS porters
will need to address that. Ruediger and Arisme, thanks in advance for
checking this out for us. Also, a hack for S&M was removed due to the
problems it was creating. It's possible that this fix addresses the actual
issue the hack was designed to smooth over. Unfortunately, I didn't document
the hack well enough in the beginning, so I don't recall what section of S&M
was affected by the problem. Most likely Ball of Twine music or something
else early on in the game. Look for any music simply not starting.

Thanks to everyone for their patience while we hunted this down. Concurrency
issu Concurrency issues suck. es suck. See what I mean? ;)