[Scummvm-devel] On Overlays (portes please read!)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Sep 19 03:19:04 CEST 2002

At 23:32 Uhr +0200 18.09.2002, Marcus Comstedt wrote:
>Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:
>
>[...]
>>  Would this be OK for all the porters?
>
>This is all acceptable for the Dreamcast port.  I would prefer if the
>pixel data pointed to by "buf" is in either RGB565 or XRGB1555 format,
>since these can be handled directly by the texture hardware = no need
>for expensive software colorspace remapping.

Right now it seems as if I will have to support both 565 and 555 mode
anyway, using some global switch or so.

>   The hardware will handle
>alpha blending, so no problem with that even on a moving background.

Nope, it won't be able to handle the alpha blending. How should it be
able to do it when we only have one bit of alpha mask? So to be able
to do it, I am right now doing the alpha blending in the old way
(only change is that now we don't blend using a palette anymore).

>As for fonts, the Dreamcast has a builtin 24 point font (which has
>full kanji support), but it's neither proportional, nor exceedingly
>beautiful.  If we can get a nice proportional bitmap font to include
>in scummvm itself so that all ports can use it, I think it would be
>better.  (More consistent at least.)

We definitly want a ScummVM font that looks the same on all systems, aye.

Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:max at quendi.de>
phone: (+49) 6151-494890