[Scummvm-devel] Re: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] CVS: scummvm/backends/sdl sdl_gl.cpp,1.37,1.38

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Jun 22 19:15:02 CEST 2003

Am Sonntag, 22.06.03 um 14:31 Uhr schrieb Travis Howell:

> Aspect ratio works with all sclaers in opengl backend

Hm, in my eyes those mods just rendered the SDL_gl backend completely
pointless (well, before this, it was already mostly pointless :-). I
think we should either undo them, or just ditch the backend, or try to
come up with a better solution (don't see any right now).

Just look at it: the only thing the OpenGL backend provides differently
is the bilinear filter - which is crap. Even if somebody wants it, we
can trivially implement it in software. OTOH. the main reason to use an
OpenGL backend, speed via HW acceleration, was removed by your changes,
since all scaling operations are now done fully in software (i.e.
identical to the regular SDL backend).

So, on the pro side: a crap bilinear filter which we can easily
implement in SW, too
On the con side: slower (at least on my system); after all, after doing
all scaling in SW, we then in addition now have to copy the data into a
texture, which then has to be uploaded to the graphic card, and
rendered.

As a side not, the GL backend now causes invalid malloc calls with COMI
for me, and segfaults COMI as soon as I press Ctrl-Alt-A, Ctrl-Alt-B