[Scummvm-devel] Skim, V6 and arrays

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Apr 26 02:52:01 CEST 2004

On Saturday 24 April 2004 14:11, Max Horn wrote:
[...]
> There is no such thing as a "handle" which is returned; rather, the
> bytecode can "dim" (=create) a new array with a given size; this array
> is then reference to via an array number (which is passed to "dim" by
> the bytecode). In particular, it's up the script to make sure it uses
> an array id which is not already in use; any existing array with that
> ID will be deleted.

Hang on --- I think you're confusing v5 and v6! In v6, AFAIAA, dim returns you
the resource number (i.e. handle) of a *new* array. So it'll never destroy an
existing one; the VM dynamically allocates new ones. In v5, the equivalent
opcode will let you reinitialise an *existing* array. It's up to the script
to manage which arrays go where.

[...]
> Where a word is 32bit in SCUMM V8, and 16bit for the other versions.

We support v8? Does CoMI run yet?

I wish I had more time; it's all very well saying that the primary reference
to the SCUMM file format is the source code, but it would be really, really
nice to have a definitive reference for the whole thing. I started this with
the Reference Guide but there's no way I'll be able to complete it... it's
just so much *cleaner* to have a specification available to refer to.
Particularly if you've got multiple implementations of the same thing..

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "For is it not written, wheresoever two or three
+- www.cowlark.com --+