[Scummvm-devel] Skim, V6 and arrays

M. Uli Kusterer Witness.of.TeachText at gmx.net
Tue Apr 27 01:24:03 CEST 2004

At 10:50 Uhr +0100 26.04.2004, David Given wrote:
>Hang on --- I think you're confusing v5 and v6! In v6, AFAIAA, dim returns you
>the resource number (i.e. handle) of a *new* array. So it'll never destroy an
>existing one; the VM dynamically allocates new ones. In v5, the equivalent
>opcode will let you reinitialise an *existing* array. It's up to the script
>to manage which arrays go where.

  Yeah, looks like there are some opcodes which take a resource handle
and nuke it before use, but dim only nukes an array if you specify
the undim selector.

>  > Where a word is 32bit in SCUMM V8, and 16bit for the other versions.
>
>We support v8? Does CoMI run yet?

  Yes, CoMI runs. I bought it a while ago at a sale and tried it. A
few issues with Wally's head popping up in the wrong spot were the
only problems I had back then.

>I wish I had more time; it's all very well saying that the primary reference
>to the SCUMM file format is the source code, but it would be really, really
>nice to have a definitive reference for the whole thing.

  I would settle for gives/takes comments in the source code. That
would already make my work a lot easier, and since it's close to the
actual sources, the chance of it becoming out of date would be much
less. I'm aware that most of you guys would much rather implement a
feature than go over the old code and comment it, but if any of you
who add any functions from now on could add gives/takes comments
before them, and a basic description what it does, that would be
really helpful. Maybe someone could tell me what I'd have to do (on
my Mac) to be able to add such comments to ScummVM's sources for the
opcodes? I'm a little rusty in my CVS skills.
M. Uli Kusterer