[Scummvm-devel] Java port of SCUMM

James 'Ender' Brown ender at scummvm.org
Fri Feb 20 06:53:05 CET 2004

> If most of the applications are created only in C# or Java in several years
> perhaps...
> So... what about a .NET port ? Does it seem insane too ?

Yes. Completely insane.

Both Java and C# are certainly not future-proof. I would give good odds
on C# dying a horrible painful death in the future. Expecially as
Windows and Microsoft loose more ground to Apple, Linux, and other
alternate Operating Systems. Whilst people may point to projects such as
Mono increasing the viability of the .Net platform, it is still nothing
more than a 'flash in the pan'.

Java has been dying slowly for a long time. If it was going to reach
critical mass, that would have happened at least 3 years ago. As it is,
it's been very slow maturing and a lot of devices that DO use Java (such
as Mobile Phones and other such embedded areas) are migrating steadily
away from it.

While I could argue the other points, I do not consider EITHER of these
technologies in the slightest bit 'future-proof'. Quite the opposite,
Java's lack of scalability and own built-in constraints will doom it
very quicky (expecially given it's structural limitations in the 64-bit
area). C# will probably last longer, but I'll never gain wide-use
acceptance and will also die.

 - Ender