[Scummvm-devel] UI issue: dialog settings vs. hotkeys

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Feb 29 05:58:01 CET 2004

Am 29.02.2004 um 14:18 schrieb James 'Ender' Brown:

>> 1) Add a "Save" button to the Option dialogs. Changes never get
>> written
>> to the config file, unless the user explicitly requests this. At the
>> same time, the option dialogs are modified to display / change the
>> currently active settings, and not the config file
>>
>> 2) Remove the difference between "active run-time" setting values, and
>> "configuration file" values. That is, when the user switches to
>> another
>> scaler, save that setting change to the config file immediately (this
>> is BTW how virtually all games and programs I recall behave).
>>

>> I can see benefits to both approaches, BTW. Personally I am used to
>> approach 2, as this is how every single program I uses behaves.
>> Examples: Diablo II/WarCraft/StartCraft; Mozilla; FireFox; vlc;
>> Neverwinter Nights; BZFlags; PhotoShop;  all of the dozen (mac)
>> applications I am running right now. However, maybe it's simply a mac
>> thing and Windows/Linux apps are overall doing it differently.
>
> I prefer Approach 1, simply to avoid the user doing something stupid
> like turning down the sound volume and forgetting, or switching to a
> scaler which runs in an unsupported resolution,and killing their
> display as a result (as occurs on certain nameless braindead OSes :)

Very good point (though I am surprised you can still kill a display
that way - at least all screens I bought in the last, uhm, ten years,
besides being multi sync, had a built-in protection (which causes them
to shut off when they get a bad signal). Goodness. Another reason not
to buy dirt cheap screens, I guess =)

> So I would say three buttons:
> 	"Reset" ("Defaults", "Revert" - something like that) - Obvious
No, it's not obvious, at least not to me. Does it revert to what is set
in the config file right now? Or to what is currently the active set of
settings (which can of course differ from the config file)ß Or to the
"factory default"?

> 	"Save" - Obvious
> 	"Apply" - Replaces OK, just to keep in with the usual captions.
>

> Either way, I agree that the current situation is confusing.

Good :-)