[Scummvm-devel] UI issue: dialog settings vs. hotkeys

James 'Ender' Brown ender at scummvm.org
Sun Feb 29 06:31:06 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 21:46, Max Horn wrote:

> > I prefer Approach 1, simply to avoid the user doing something stupid
> > like turning down the sound volume and forgetting, or switching to a
> > scaler which runs in an unsupported resolution,and killing their
> > display as a result (as occurs on certain nameless braindead OSes :)
>
> Very good point (though I am surprised you can still kill a display
> that way - at least all screens I bought in the last, uhm, ten years,
> besides being multi sync, had a built-in protection (which causes them
> to shut off when they get a bad signal). Goodness. Another reason not
> to buy dirt cheap screens, I guess =)

A few do (I've seen maybe three do it in the last 3 years, all at least
2 years old tho). I did mean more in the terms of the monitor switching
into safety mode.

> > So I would say three buttons:
> > 	"Reset" ("Defaults", "Revert" - something like that) - Obvious
> No, it's not obvious, at least not to me. Does it revert to what is set
> in the config file right now? Or to what is currently the active set of
> settings (which can of course differ from the config file)ß Or to the
> "factory default"?

I suppose Revert would be the best, as I did intend revert to the
previously saved settings. Default would imply the other.

 - Ender, who will stop writing vauge and confusing notes when drunk.
Honest. :)