[Scummvm-devel] Out of This World / Another World?

Oliver Kiehl ok at okiehl.com
Wed May 5 11:18:00 CEST 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:45:36PM +0200, Torbjorn.E.Andersson at tietoenator.com wrote:
> I have to admit that I'm rather puzzled by the merging of 'raw' [1] into
> ScummVM. Particularly since there was no discussion first, unless I blinked
> at the wrong moment and missed it. Judging by the discussion on #scummvm,
> I'm far from the only one who feels that way. Including cyx, who suggested
> the discussion be brought up on the mailing list.

I also think that we need to draw a line to what we should add to
ScummVM, and what we shouldn't. So far, ScummVM has been a
collection of engines for 2D point-and-click adventure games.
I believe we should keep it that way. Otherwise we could argue about
adding support for doom etc.

Adding games that are so different from existing ScummVM games (AW
uses vector graphics, all other ScummVM games use bitmaps) only
increases the complexity of ScummVM while not giving the newly added
games any real advantage.

Furthermore, I oppose the idea of developing RAW on two branches.
Cyx has already stated that he intends to continue development on
his own branch. A decision which I personally respect and
understand. Adding a second development branch to ScummVM is just a
waste of effort in my opinion.

just my two cents...

-ok