[Scummvm-devel] The Situation (omnious music..)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu May 6 03:19:02 CEST 2004

Am 06.05.2004 um 12:05 schrieb James 'Ender' Brown:

[...]

> How does it affect developer A if developer B adds a new engine that A
> doesn't like? Not in the slightest (unless A is a porter, or engine C
> requires OSystem changes and A is a backend dev... but dealing with new
> stuff goes with those jobs anyway!)

Well, I tried to explain that in my previous mail: maybe it doesn't
affect A from a purely technical point of view. But humans aren't
purely technical. We all are volunteers on this project. If the project
as a whole starts moving in a direction we don't like, it makes us
reevaluate our position.

So, even though A may not be directly affected by this, he may still
not like it or even be very emotional about, going as far as quitting
the project. For example, (to make an extreme example), if a game with
content for and by Nazis/Fascists was added, I'd probably be extremely
upset about it, although technically, it wouldn't affect me directly.
I'd probably do everything I could do prevent this / undo it, and
failing that, would quit the project.

Right now, the thing seems to be that some people feel adding AWE is a
good thing, while others feel that it doesn't fit into ScummVM; and
while the latter aren't, technically, directly affected by this, they
still feel strong about this - and IMO, that's their good right.
Doesn't mean we should decide based on those emotions, but we can't
just tell people to forget them, that's not how humans work.

Besides, I too, am not entirely happy about this shift of focus: while
apparently in the case of AWE, one can still argue that it's an
adventure (I really can't judge it as I don't know the game, I am just
repeating what others tell me); it still seems to be diluting the focus
of ScummVM. Which is precisely why people start making more "silly"
jokes about adding DOOM. Sure it's not at all on the same level -- but
it's a step in that direction. WE have a proverb in German "Wahret den
Anfängen" ("Beware the beginning" Ugh, very bad translation), which
means that sometimes you should not let something small slip through,
because if you do, you just made a small opening, through which
something bigger slips through. Which widens the opening. Rince and
repeat. We germans have bad experiences with that, historically...

Bye,