[Scummvm-devel] TV2x and DotMatrix

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Apr 27 13:34:20 CEST 2005

Am 27.04.2005 um 16:59 schrieb <Torbjorn.E.Andersson at personec.com>:

> What's the general feeling about the TV2x and DotMatrix scalers?
> Personally
> I don't think they're working too well at the moment, and I never saw
> much
> use for them in the first place.

Same here. I was against adding them in the first place :-)

>  Neither of them is applied to mouse
> cursors any more, TV2x looks horrible together with aspect ratio
> correction,
> and DotMatrix has always been a bit dodgy since it behaves slightly
> different at different screen coordinates. At least I think that's why
> the
> image gets slightly distorted when you move the mouse cursor across it.
>
> I suppose one possibility would be to add yet another step to the
> rendering
> so that apart from scaling we'd also allow distorting of the image.
> That
> way it should be possible to combine them gracefully with any other
> scaler,
> including aspect ratio correction.
>
> Another possibility would be to get rid of them and pretend they never
> existed in the first place.
>
> Or we could just leave them as they are.

Personally, I'd go for option #2 (remove them). Besides not seeing the
point in those, I don't want to add yet another rendering stage,
inducing yet another slow down, for such a doubtful feature. That just
my personal two cents, of course.