[Scummvm-devel] SDL Altivec blitters

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Mar 5 17:00:01 CET 2005

Hi folks,

I just stumbled by chance over the SDL Altivec work you've been doing
(because I found out on veriontracker.com that a new version of Frozen
Bubble had been released by Bob, which I like a lot, then read about
this "Altivec SDL", which prompted me to google for it, after which I
read the whole thread on the SDL list and to download the various
patches). Looks very cool, thanks for your efforts!

Anyway, as somebody else mentioned on the SDL list, a popular app using
16 bit mode only is ScummVM, of which I am project lead. It certainly
would benefit quite some from an accelerated 1555 mode in SDL; while we
currently use a 565 surface on OSX, the only reason for that is that
this is what SDL gives us when we ask for an "optimal" 16 bit surface.
I can easily change it to specifically request a (1)555 surface from
SDL, as our frontend code is specifically written to support both 555
and 565 modes.

I did spend some time speeding up our Scale2x/Advmame2x, Hq2x/Hq3x etc.
scalers, even using some AltiVec, but stopped at some point because
more time was spent in SDL than in our own code anyway...

Anyway: The reason of my mail is mostly meant as a "heads up", as I
have no time to look into writing 16<->32 blit code myself; but in case
anybody else is interested in doing that, I'll be happy to do testing
with ScummVM, and to modify ScummVM to use the (1)555 mode for this.

Please keep up the good work,