[Scummvm-devel] Switch to SVN?

Philip Kendall pak21 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue May 10 07:33:16 CEST 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 04:52:01PM +0300, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:

[ Subversion ]

</lurk>

> The questions are [ ... ] how safe will it be

This would be my only worry. There have been "horror stories" with
Subversion trashing its repository, sometimes in subtle ways that aren't
discovered until much later. With CVS, everything in the repository was
just a text file and this was (just about) fixable. With subversion,
especially when using a Berkeley DB as the backend, you're stuck.

This is apparently much improved in subversion 1.1, but I'd recommend
somebody keeping an archive of old versions of the repository, just in
case.

Other than that, subversion was designed to be CVS with the most obvious
problems fixed, and it does that very well. I strongly suspect my
SourceForge project[1] will be changing over when (if?) SourceForge does
give subversion access.

Cheers,

Phil

[1] http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/

<lurk>

--
"Oh bugger, now I have to wait for someone to wake up."
                          Marcus: Babylon 5: Ceremonies of Light and Dark