[Scummvm-devel] The Dig, FT: maxHeapThreshold

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-Earth.co.uk
Thu May 12 01:46:55 CEST 2005

>I noticed on the PS2 that the _maxHeapThreshold for V7 games is apparently
>too low for The Dig and FT, which makes the games reload some files for
>every single frame, thereby causing severe slowdowns.
>
>currently the value is fixed to 2500000 bytes, apparently.
>I'd simply raise it to 6 MB (it's what BS1+2 also use as memory limit for
>resource data)
>Fingolfin is fine with it.
>
>Does any porter have objections?

Not hugely but it would mean I would need to over-ride this in the GP32
backend to continue to support the 320*240/200 V7 games (Well, The Dig ;-)).
That is of course assuming I have interpreted your post correctly.

>The Palm port seems to define its own limits for this value already...

I'll take a look at how the Palm backend does it and see if it's appropriate
to the GP32. I currently just work with engine defaults and BS1+2 aren't
supported on the GP32 so there heap requirements are moot anyway.

In all fairness V7 games on the GP32 are a fudge anyway so I have no 'real'
objections.

Regards,

John