[Scummvm-devel] strange thing in mmv2...

Torbjorn.E.Andersson at personec.com Torbjorn.E.Andersson at personec.com
Sat Oct 15 01:01:21 CEST 2005

(Am I the only one who finds it annoying that replies to mails sent to
scummvm-devel by default only goes to the original sender? Quoting the
entire message, rather than just the part I'm replying to.)

Michael Kronsteiner <alphamike at gmx.at> wrote:

> As said, the game is completeable, but i think the "anti-copyprotection"
> spoils the game somewhat... you can enter ANY code to open the safe hidden
> behind dr.freds pic when passing edna by - i entered "1234" and the safe
> opened... i dont know if this is for the door to the lab also, i got the
> "right" number, but i think it opens also on any number - so this is a
> definitive "shortcut" of the game...

I don't think ScummVM's workaround for the copy protection does that. All it
does is to affect the state of two objects which I assume represent each side
of the security door. (I don't know enough about Maniac Mansion to test this
myself.)

I've heard rumors that a popular method for cracking the datafiles had the
side effect you describe, though...

> it took me 30min to complete mmv2 (i didnt look up the telescope for the
> safe code...)
>
> some graphical glitches are also there - on the outside of the house and on
> the stairs down to the "museum room" from where you can enter the arcade
> games room, sometimes characters can walk straight across stairs (just
> ignoring the stair-frame and directly walking to the point you clicked) this
> happened to me two times when i completed the game

Torbjörn Andersson