[Scummvm-devel] RE:Slowww

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Apr 4 17:51:06 CEST 2006

Am 04.04.2006 um 22:20 schrieb Lars Persson:

> Hi!
> 1. Crap hotmail. :-)
> 2. Successfully built Scummvm SVN. It required changes in
> * hashmap.h (public declaration for member vars),

? What changes are needed there, and what errors do they fix, exactly?

> * func.h (hash function declared twice) (as already mentioned like
> three times),

That should be fixed since I remove the wchar_t line.

> * in scummsys.h (uint is already declared by Symbians libc in
> types.h (not sure how this this is done on other platforms). Should
> really the uint,uint32 and int32 datatypes be set based on the
> presence on config.h or not?

We *can* change this if it is necessary... like to work around bugged
C libraries (defining types going beyond the standard specs outside
special namespaces is strictly speaking a bug... and with namespaces
I also mean "C namespaces", i.e. if a lib needs to define types, it
should prefix them with some underscores or so).

That's of course only the purist's view. Since you have to work with
that C lib, obviously we need to work around it anyway :-). I will
commit a "SCUMMVM_DONT_DEFINE_TYPES" change that will allow you to
disable the default typedefs, so that your port can provide custom ones.

> So I tested this build on my P910, and there is still quite a long
> startup phase before the launcher is presented, but might be abit
> shorter. Also launching games is also abit delayed.

I think those issues are caused by the fact that now we are scanning
all directories upon startup... on my system, this caused ScummVM to
take 6-8 secs to launch into a game. Profiling revealed that 98% of
the time was spent in getcwd which for some reason is very slow on
Mac OS X. My changes to the FS code brought this down a lot, but
there are still lots of unnecessary getRoot() calls, I'll try to fix
that tonight.

Still, if your FS is slow, even with all the optimizations I am
making to the FS code (it had some really bad bottlenecks, I must
admit :-), scanning several dirs of your file system can take a long
time when your FS / device is comparatively slow... we may have to
reconsider this change.

> But the default SDL main implementation worked without any
> hitches. :-)

Good :-)