[Scummvm-devel] DXA file format for videos

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 24 17:39:03 CEST 2006

The DXA file format used by the Amiga and Macintosh versions of the Feeble
Files would provide a much better alternative to video playback, than the
current MPEG2 compression used for the Broken Sword 1/2 games.

Advantages are:
Smaller binary size, since libmpeg2 is no longer required.
An overlay would no longer be required for videos in Broken Sword 1/2.
Video quality equal to original games.
Smaller file size (For video quality equal to original)

Disadvantages:
Larger file size (If you don't care about video quality)
We would need to re-release the cutscene packs for Broken Sword 1/2.

We already have an encoder for the DXA file format in the tools module,
thanks to Benjamin Haisch. We could add options for improved audio
compression to the DXA encoder, in the future too.

So I think it would be a good idea to use the DXA file format for video
playback in all games supported by ScummVM.  The DXA file format would make
a good alternative for Bink/Smacker videos used by some HE Games too.

So what are peoples opinions on switching video playback to the DXA file
format?