[Scummvm-devel] DXA file format for videos

Torbjörn Andersson eriktorbjorn at telia.com
Fri Apr 28 06:25:07 CEST 2006

Here is my comparision between the size of the (low-quality) MPEG
cutscenes and the DXA cutscenes for Broken Sword:

MPEG
----

BS1: 35M  (32M video + 3.3M sound)
BS2: 30M  (27M video + 3.2M sound)

DXA
---

BS1: 117M (96M video + 21M sound)
BS2: 211M (186M video + 24M sound)

The reason the DXA sound is so much larger is, of course, that it's
uncompressed WAV. (From what I understand, compressed WAV isn't working
as it should yet.)

Rather than modifying the DXA file format, it should be trivial (not to
mention necessary for BS1) to play sound from external Ogg Vorbis or MP3
files. Still, the DXA video files for BS1 are 3 times larger than the
MPEG ones, and the DXA files for BS2 are almost 8 times larger. And even
the original SMK cutscenes have some pretty noticeable compression
artefacts.

Torbjörn