[Scummvm-devel] License incompatibility in PS2 port

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Tue Aug 15 21:14:31 CEST 2006

Hi Team,

ohloh just picked up our project. You may find some nice stats graphs at

  http://ohloh.net/opensource/software/scummvm

Among other thins it says:

  * Factoids
  Some source code may be covered by the Academic Free License, which
  is incompatible with the GNU General Public License (GPL).

I checked our source and found that file

  scummvm/trunk/backends/platform/ps2/iop/CoDyVDfs/Makefile

states:

># _____     ___ ____     ___ ____
>#  ____|   |    ____|   |        | |____|
># |     ___|   |____ ___|    ____| |    \    PS2DEV Open Source Project.
>#-----------------------------------------------------------------------
># Copyright 2001-2004, ps2dev - http://www.ps2dev.org
># Licenced under Academic Free License version 2.0
># Review ps2sdk README & LICENSE files for further details.

The question is. Is only this Makefile is licensed under AFL or whole
CoDyVDfs library is? If it's the former, the file should be rewritten,
if it's latter, then it's more difficult problem, and we have to discuss
it. We can either offer it as a separate download or rewrite/replace.

Not good thing is that this file stays in ScummVM since 0.8.0.

Please, comment.

Eugene