[Scummvm-devel] Make class String case insensitive by default?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Jul 22 15:47:57 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am wondering whether we should turn the comparison operators of
class String to be case insensitive by default (that would also
affect hash(), of course). Looking through our code, we have to use
scummvm_stricmp, or toLowerCase over and over again. So far, I
haven't seen any case were we explicitly want case *sensitive*
comparisons. Can anybody think of any examples for the latter in our
existing code?

Case sensitive compares could still be achieved by using plain
strcmp, but I figure by switching the default, we could simplify
quite a lot of our code (most engine game detectors, config manager/
file classes, etc.).

Bye,
Max

P.S.: I am wondering whether *this* mail will draw any responses. Or
if again nobody feels qualified enough / is interested / has the time
to talk about or act upon it...