[Scummvm-devel] Detection hints in the Add Game browser

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jul 31 03:01:53 CEST 2006

From: "Ori Avtalion" <oavtal at bezeqint.net>
>> To be clear, exactly which game detection issue are we attempting to
>> solve?
>> as I was unable to locate the video mentioned in the original message.
>> The
>> only ScummVM related video was OpenAlpha episode 3, which included brief
>> guide to using ScummVM on a PSP.
>
> Yes, that's the video I meant. sorry for the mixup:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8349566053817923056
>
> Notice how the presenter says something like "it's ok the browser is
> empty. just click choose and it will find your game". Were it obvious,
> she wouldn't have said that.

Considering this is a guide to using ScummVM on a PSP, I would not call it a
good example. A good example would be an actual user having that exact
problem, and also their opinion on how it could be made easier.

>> Also worth noting, that we don't actually mention that only directories
>> are
>> displayed, and the files are excluded, when browsing through the file
>> system
>> in the launcher.
>
> The last one can be solved easily by improving the message at the top of
> the browser (if the user pays attention to it), or maybe a "first-run
> mode" that will show a descriptive popup when "Add Game" is first clicked.

If the confusing issue, is only directories been shown, when browsing the
file system. Then it would make more sense to let people know, instead of
complicating the game detection, on the assumption it will help in this
situation. ie just update the message to:
Choose the directory containing the game data
NOTE: Only directories are been displayed.

I still think the idea of Help buttons in each section of GUI, could help
prevent the other game detection issues, when adding a game under ScummVM.
Judging by our own forums, I find the other issues I mentioned are far more
common.
Users often don't read through the long documentation included with
programs, but I find users are much more likely to use the built in Help
options of programs, when having trouble.