[Scummvm-devel] Support of Mac BS 1

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Wed Sep 27 10:37:49 CEST 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:27:58 +0100
Thierry Crozat <thierry.crozat at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> So this should not be too difficult to support. After all, when using
> ScummVM on a big endian computer, the current engine already does the
> byte swap.
I have some experience in working of engine which uses 2 data sets with
different byte order, i.e. SAGA. I can tell you that this task will
require to review every structure in the engine. As I see, now sword1
engine uses direct reading from File with use of readXXXLE() family of
functions. This will not ease your task, as earlier it mapped data
directly into memory chunk pointed as a structure. To achieve similar
goal in SAGA, we used MemoryReadStreamEndian wrapper (see
enignes/saga/stream.h), which could be set to read either BE or LE
format without adding hassle to the source. So you'll have to use
something similar.

> One more remark: the mac music files are in AIFF format (and not
> WAV). This is not supported by the engine and I do not plan to work
> on this support. I don't know if it would be difficult and if
> somebody else wants to work on that.
This is not difficult at all and, say, I could add this if needed.

> do you know if anybody else has been working on supporting the mac
> version of BS1 ?
No.

> do you know if there is been any interest in this support from
> users ?
Several peoples asked about it in last couple years, all of them were
suggested to buy PC version.

Mac version is rarer than PC version and AFAIK, it has no advantages.
But of course, if you are willing to work on it for the sake of
completeness or personal amusement, I wish you all success.

Eugene