[Scummvm-devel] Word completion for AGI games

Neil Millstone neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 18:37:04 CEST 2007

John Willis wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> Does the existing 'predictive text' style input in SVN not work on the NDS
> for some reason?
>
> You just need to pop a suitable dictionary (there is a Perl script in /tools
> IIRC) in with your compiled files for it to become enabled when you click
> on the text input area.
>
> I have been using it with GP2X builds for some time and while it could use a
> little further refinement (I was working on speeding up the dictionary load
> and parse times from Sev's original code but Max got there 1st ;)) and it
> currently (like the rest of AGI) is tied to its own AGI widget set rather
> then the ScummVM one so looks a little ugly.
>
> All that said however, it works well and seems more intuitive and less prone
> to errors then the GBAGI style word guess systems. I guess it would also be
> quite nice on the NDS touch screen.
>
> John

I didn't see the predictive text stuff.  I've had a play, and it's
pretty cool.  I assume that the Perl scripts to create the dictionary
will be created at runtime eventually?  Because the chances of most
Windows users being able to install and use Perl is practically zero.

The DS has enough room on screen for a complete Qwerty keyboard for text
entry (it's been there for several versions now for savegame naming and
such), so I wanted to allow users to use this to play AGI games without
having to type the whole word.

I've put up a page with screenshots of how it looks at the moment (sorry
for the poor quality):
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/demo/

So, as you can see, it's not quite like the GBAGI system, and the whole
system can be used on the second screen without covering up the game,
which is nice.

- Neil