[Scummvm-devel] File name conventions

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Mar 31 14:18:22 CEST 2007

Am 31.03.2007 um 12:13 schrieb Ori Avtalion:

> Max Horn wrote:
>> The other conventions are not really that important, but as I noticed
>> that many backends seem to use them, I thought we could just as well
>> list them, too. Maybe we want to use this chance to regularize some
>> names. E.g.
>> * change gfx.cpp to graphics.cpp (again, majority, plus it seems to
>> fit in better with sound.cpp, which almost all engines use -- as
>> opposed to sfx.cpp. Oh and gfx usually means "Graphics Effects"
>
> Some engines use "screen" instead of "graphics":
> sword1, sword2, sky, kyra, lure

OK. Maybe those should be renamed, too.

Oh and I guess more names could be "unified". I just preferred to
stay on the cautious side here. It's not always crystal clear which
file contains what (and different engines/authors may split
functionality differently, too).

This is highlighted by what Kirben said, who made a very valid point
regarding the (potential) differences between debug.cpp vs debugger.cpp!

> Regarding the naming conventions in general, I think it also benefits
> new engine hackers that look in other engines' code for help/ideas.

Yes, that's one of the things I had in mind. And on the other hand,
the whole thing is *not* about trying to annoy engine authors unduly.
I just think that some (mild, simple) structure helps a lot to
maintain ScummVM; it improves scalability.