[Scummvm-devel] ARM asm code for iPhone

Robin Watts scummvm at wss.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 18:44:00 CET 2007

In message
<1006507.41280.XVdYXF9DRFA=.1196096019.squirrel at webmailer.hosteurope.de>
          "Max Horn" <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> a quick question: The iPhone uses an ARM processor. We have some
> hand tuned ARM asm code for some critical sections in our code
> base. Are you using that? If you are using our regular build
> system, then it should suffice to add
>   add_line_to_config_mk 'USE_ARM_SOUND_ASM = 1'
>   add_line_to_config_mk 'USE_ARM_SMUSH_ASM = 1'
> to the arm-iphone case, like for the arm-linux and gp2x port.

If they don't work, then please feel free to come back to me and I'll
see what I can do.

> I wonder if this code works for you, and if you notice a speed
> boost...

I wonder the same thing :)

> Then there is also  ARM_USE_GFX_ASM, for SCUMM games, but that is
> for some reasons not enabled on all devices which enable the above.
> Any reason for that, Robin?

I haven't enabled that for all the devices that it might help for,
for the simple reason that I don't have all the devices to test it on
(actually, I can't even verify it'll build on all the devices).

I figured it was best left to portmasters to enable this for
themselves - I *think* I mailed around about it at the time, but
can't remember if that was on or off list - or even if I completely
forgot.

If there are any other ARM ports that have port specific bits that
would benefit from being written in ARM, please just say. I did have
a quick trawl though the codebase looking for candidates, but
clearly portmasters will have more clue than me - Symbian screen
scalers did look like possible candidates for ARM coding...

Robin
--
Robin Watts,             Email: <mailto:Robin.Watts at wss.co.uk>
Warm Silence Software,   WWW:   <http://www.wss.co.uk/>