[Scummvm-devel] Lands of Lore

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Sat Aug 2 05:43:28 CEST 2008

Max Horn wrote:
> Hence, I'd be interested to hear how everybody sees this. Shall we
> change our website now and drop the "graphical adventures" bit, and
> replace it by "arbitrary (graphical?) PC games" ? Do we want to keep
> the focus? Does it help us, or hurt us? What do you think? Do you even
> care? :-)

Personally I don't mind any game type been added, as long as it is based
off an existing (adventure) game engine. I don't mean games that just
share a few common file formats though.

We already have various arcade, puzzle and sports games from Humongous
Entertainment, supported via the SCUMM engine. Which could even expand
into a strategy game (Moonbase Commander), if 16bit color support was
eventually added to ScummVM.

I don't think we should accept completely separate game engines, of
other games types though. Since that would set a precedent for adding a
game of any type, which I think that would dilute the purpose of ScummVM
too much.

> And because it was mentioned on the tracker item: People keep quoting
> Simon's Puzzle Pack as a justification for adding arbitrary things.
> Well, my reply to that is: If you can support a full new game by
> adding only a few hundred lines of code in total (like it seems to be
> the case for the puzzle pack), fine by me. Somehow, though, i doubt
> that this will be the case with LoL, so the comparison is invalid :)

The HorrorSoft titles (Elvira 1/2 and Waxworks) would be a better
comparison, considering they could be classed as RPGs, and required more
changes to add into the AGOS engine. Although the graphics renderer
changes, were require to fix bugs in DOS versions of Simon the Sorcerer
1/2 too.