[Scummvm-devel] Kyrandia engine loading is slow on the DS

Neil Millstone neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 23:07:07 CEST 2008

Johannes wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2008 23:34:04 Max Horn wrote:
>
>> > Well, then, why not just commit it?  :)
>>

> Actually Florian told me there's one case where we have to use files from game
> path instead of from inside archives, this is why I commited a slightly
> modified version now.
>
> // Johannes

This issue is not really much better.

Something since 0.11.1 has slowed down the loading of Kyrandia 1 by a
lot.  In the current code, before reaching the title screen it calls
fopen 7456 times, taking 2 minutes 26 seconds at a black screen before
the title screen appears.

I got rid of the multiple retries to open a file done inside
fopenNoCase.  The result was that it now attempts to open a file 1976
times, takes 1 minute 5 seconds to start.  Still not really acceptable.

It may have been a while since I tried running Kyra 1, but I went and
tested it in 0.11.1 and it took 19 seconds.

- Neil