[Scummvm-devel] Kyrandia engine loading is slow on the DS

Bertrand Augereau bertrand_augereau at yahoo.fr
Wed Aug 20 23:34:43 CEST 2008

Hi Neil, hi team,given your numbers we can approximate the time of a fopen to 15ms.Therefore, on the 65 seconds to launch Kyrandia 1, the 2k fopen account for 30 sec, and the rest is 35 seconds.
Maybe we could maintain a cache of filename to file handles in kyra resource manager to open files only once, we probably could gain 20 seconds more.For the rest I don't know...Anyway one minute is not that long to launch the game, you might just change the bgcolor every hbl with an interrupt during the engine initializations (like in cracked games depackers in the 80s :) : now this is old school) for the user to notice the game hasn't crashed. That would probably be sufficient. Cheers,Bertrand