[Scummvm-devel] Memory consumption in GUI branch

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Dec 8 11:26:28 CET 2008

Hi guys,

any news on the thumb code?

BTW, I noticed that mixer.cpp is listed in OPTLIST, causing it to be
compiled with -O3 instead of -Os. Over hear, that makes it grow from
4526 bytes code size to 15540 bytes, so almost 11k more. Looking at
the source, this is because there are many loops ranging from 0 till
NUM_CHANNELS-1 (so 16 iterations), which get unrolled, and then lots
of code gets inlined. Yet the only code in mixer.cpp which is vaguely
speed critical would be MixerImpl::mixCallback() and Channel::mix();
yet most of *their* time is spent in calling the rate converter &
mixing code, which is written in ARM asm these days.

So, I wonder -- is it really necessary to keep that file in OPTLIST?
If so, can you pinpoint which part of it is speed critical? We might
be able to make it so that only that part of the code gets optimized...

Bye,